Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski on Tuesday addressed Corey Maggette being identified as the unnamed Duke men’s basketball player who allegedly sexually assaulted Meredith Watson.
A friend of Watson’s confirmed in an email to USA TODAY Sports on Monday that she had told him that she was raped by Maggette when the two were at the university in 1999.
Krzyzewski first yielded to his earlier statement Saturday, before Maggette was named, but when on the explain that it was a matter that needed to be handled by the university.
“I had no knowledge,” Krzyzewski said following Duke’s thrilling comeback win against Louisville. “At that level, for that serious of an accusation, it’s always university-level. Always. Our university will handle everything, and that’s what should happen. Coach shouldn’t do anything with that.
“I have no knowledge of it, but I’m not the one — our university should do all that, and rightfully so. That’s the level where it needs to happen.”
Maggette, who was first identified as the alleged perpetrator by The New York Times, denied the accusation.
“I have never sexually assaulted anyone in my life and I completely and categorically deny any such charge,” Maggette said in the statement issued through a spokesperson.
Duke is also investigating the allegation against Maggette.
“We are in the process of gathering information to determine what policies and procedures were in place during the time period in which these events are alleged to have occurred, and whether they were activated and followed,” Duke said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports Monday. “We are not able to provide further information or comment on any individual at this time.”
Last week Watson became the second woman to come forward to accuse Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax of a “premeditated and aggressive” sexual assault.
Follow USA TODAY Sports’ Evan Hilbert on Twitter @evanhilbert.