Washington, DC’s Fourth of July fireworks celebration was visible over the Washington Monument, the U.S. Capitol building, the Lincoln Memorial and other well known DC landmarks. (July 5)
WASHINGTON – The nation’s capital is home to a vast, annual Fourth of July celebration. But President Donald Trump is planning something a little extra this year.
In a tweet on Sunday, Trump announced he would be hosting “A Salute to America” event at the Lincoln Memorial where he would address the nation.
Washington already hosts an annual concert and fireworks display over the National Mall, an event that attracts thousands each year. But the president claims this year’s celebration will be one for the record books – allowing one of the “biggest gatherings in the history of Washington.”
“HOLD THE DATE! We will be having one of the biggest gatherings in the history of Washington, D.C., on July 4th,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “It will be called ‘A Salute To America’ and will be held at the Lincoln Memorial. Major fireworks display, entertainment and an address by your favorite President, me!”
But, it’s not entirely clear whether the gathering has been approved by the National Parks Service, which oversees and issues permits for such events.
When asked whether the event had been permitted or whether the White House had filed any paperwork to reserve the space, National Parks Service spokesman Michael Litterst said: “While no final decisions have been made, we continue to work on creating a Salute to America program that will bring Americans from all over the country together in celebration of our great nation.”
Asked specifically if that meant the event has not yet been approved, Litterst declined to elaborate.
Trump first introduced the prospect of a Fourth of July event at the Lincoln Memorial earlier this month.
Speaking to members of his Cabinet, the president said he was thinking about the idea of a Fourth of July parade, potentially at the Lincoln Memorial, that could “become a tradition.”
“It could be an exciting day,” Trump said.
The president has long wanted to host a celebration or parade in the nation’s capital.
He made news last year for proposing a military parade in Washington, which the Department of Defense said would cost as much as $80 million.
Trump has expressed a desire for such a parade for years and was impressed by the Bastille Day march he witnessed on a presidential trip to Paris in 2017.
President Trump planned a military parade in DC and it’s reportedly going to cost close to $100 Million dollars. Veuer’s Sam Berman has the full story.
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/02/24/july-fourth-president-trump-plans-major-event-lincoln-memorial/2972812002/