Jacinda Ardern vows tighter gun laws

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern reiterated her promise for changes to the country’s gun laws on Sunday, two days after a gunman killed 50 people in a terrorist attack on two mosques in the city of Christchurch.

Arden told a news conference that laws need to change and “they will change.” She said her Cabinet will discuss the policy details on Monday.

New Zealand has fewer restrictions on rifles or shotguns than many countries. Handguns are more tightly controlled.

The death toll in the attack at the at the Al Noor and Linwood mosques rose to 50 people on Saturday, with victims ranging in age from 2 to over 60, the New Zealand Herald reported. 

Thirty-nine people remain in the hospital and 11 are in intensive care in critical condition, the Herald said. It said a 4-year-old child was transferred to Starship children’s hospital in Auckland on New Zealand’s North Island.

Relatives of the dead were waiting Sunday for authorities to release the remains of their loved ones. Islamic law calls for bodies to be buried as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours of death. Many of the victims were immigrants from countries including  Pakistan, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Indonesia.

Police Commissioner Mike Bush said police were working with pathologists and coroners to release the bodies as soon as possible. 

“We have to be absolutely clear on the cause of death and confirm their identity before that can happen,” he said. “But we are so aware of the cultural and religious needs. So we are doing that as quickly and as sensitively as possible.”

Police said they released a preliminary list of the victims to families.

More: Death toll rises to 50 in New Zealand mosque shootings

More: ‘I was the last person to get out alive’: Narrow escape from the New Zealand mosque


Show Thumbnails

Show Captions

A 28-year-old Australian man appeared in court Saturday charged with one count of murder. The judge said “it was reasonable to assume” more such charges would follow. The suspect was ordered to return to court April 5. Two other people, a man and a woman, who were arrested soon after the shootings were not linked to the shooter. 

The alleged shooter, who described himself as a white supremacist, emailed a copy of a more than 70-page anti-immigrant manifesto to Ardern’s office and 69 others minutes before he opened fire, according to media reports. 

Fourteen-year-old Sayyad Milne was killed at Al Noor Mosque. His father, John Milne, described him as  a “brave little soldier,” the New Zealand Herald reported. The newspaper said Sayyad attended the mosque with his mother and friends every Friday.

“I’ve lost my little boy,”  his father said, the Herald reported.

“I remember him as my baby who I nearly lost when he was born. Such a struggle he’s had throughout all his life. A brave little soldier. It’s so hard … to see him just gunned down by someone who didn’t care about anyone or anything.”

Contributing: Doug Stanglin and Dalvin Brown; The Associated Press

More: How a hero in New Zealand mosque attack used cat-and-mouse chase, shooter’s own gun to save lives

More: New Zealand mosque shootings: How Donald Trump, US racism contributes to hate around world

More: Christchurch mosque attacks: Mass shootings are rare in New Zealand



Read or Share this story:

Source link

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button