An attorney for the Dallas Mavericks’ Kristaps Porzingis denied allegations in a published report Saturday in which a woman accused Porzingis of raping her last year.
The story, which appeared in the New York Post, also states the woman allegedly discussed receiving a $68,000 payment from Porzingis to keep quiet.
“We are aware of the complaint that was made against Mr. Porzingis on Friday and unequivocally deny the allegations,” attorney Roland G. Riopelle said in a statement acquired by USA TODAY Sports and other outlets.
“We made a formal referral to federal law enforcement on December 20, 2018, based on the accuser’s extortionate demands. We also alerted the National Basketball Association months ago and they are aware of the ongoing investigation of the accuser by federal law enforcement. We cannot comment further on an ongoing federal investigation. Please refer any questions to the Federal Bureau of Investigation or the National Basketball Association.”
GET MORE NBA: Exclusive content with our Click & Roll newsletter
NBA vice president of communication Mike Bass told USA TODAY Sports the league is aware of the situation.
Citing a high-ranking New York Police Department official, the New York Post reported the woman made the accusation to law enforcement Thursday.
At the time of the alleged rape — Feb. 7, 2018 — Porzingis, 23, played for the New York Knicks and lived in a luxury apartment in Manhattan.
The woman, according to the story, lived in the same building and accepted Porzingis’ invitation to his apartment, hours after the forward/center sustained a season-ending ACL injury.
Porzingis, who has not played this season while he recovers from his torn ACL, was traded from the Knicks to the Mavericks on Jan. 31. According to ESPN, the Knicks informed the Mavericks of the alleged incident at the time of the trade.
Porzingis has not been charged, according to the story.
USA TODAY Sports left a message with the NYPD’s 10th Precinct, which received the report.
Follow Jeff Zillgitt on Twitter @JeffZillgitt.