WASHINGTON – Kurdish fighters who helped the U.S. battle the Islamic State said their American allies “did not fulfill their obligations” as U.S. troops began to withdraw from their positions in northeastern Syria on Monday ahead of an expected Turkish military assault.
Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan considers the Kurdish forces in Syria to be terrorists allied with Kurdish insurgents within his country and has long threatened a military incursion into the area.
Foreign policy experts, as well as Republican and Democratic lawmakers, have warned that allowing Turkey into the region could lead to a massacre of the Kurds and been seen as a betrayal of a U.S. military ally.
President Donald Trump defended the move on Twitter Monday, writing the U.S. “was supposed to be in Syria for 30 days” and “that was many years ago.”
“We stayed and got deeper and deeper into battle with no aim in sight,” Trump tweeted.
“The Kurds fought with us, but were paid massive amounts of money and equipment to do so,” Trump added. He repeated his aversion to longterm U.S. military commitments overseas and said: “Turkey, Europe, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Russia and the Kurds will now have to figure the situation out.”
Trump announced a U.S. withdrawal from Syria in late 2018, a plan that led to the resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis.
Later, the president backed off a full withdrawal, but he apparently sees Monday’s pullback as a way to resurrect his plan to get the U.S. out of Syria.
One of Trump’s most outspoken supporters, Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., criticized last year’s plan to pull out of Syria.
In December of last year, Graham tweeted, “As to the status of our Kurdish allies, the Administration has yet to tell the American people what happens to the Kurds – who fought so hard for us – when we leave. Is there a plan to protect our allies post withdrawal? Need answers now.”
Graham has not commented on Sunday’s move, which appears to have taken officials across the world by surprise.
The U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces took down fortifications and removed heavy weapons for the border region in a move meant to appease Erdogan as part of an agreement in which American and Turkey would conduct joint patrols in along a 78-mile security zone.
“Despite our efforts to avoid any military escalation with Turkey, the flexibility we have shown to move forward with the establishment of the border security mechanism, and the fulfillment of all our obligations in this regard, the US forces did not fulfill their obligations and withdrew their forces from the territories bordering with Turkey,” the SDF said in a statement shared by the Kurdish Hawar news agency.
The SDF warned that Turkey’s planned “invasion” would “have a major negative impact on our war on ISIS and will destroy all the stability achieved during the past years.”
The Kurdish fighters said they “will not hesitate for a moment to defend ourselves” and they called on “Arabs Kurds, Syrians and Assyrians to join forces and stand with their legitimate forces to defend our country against this Turkish aggression.”
White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham in a statement on Sunday that “Turkey will soon be moving forward with its long-planned operation into Northern Syria” and that U.S. forces “will not support or be involved in the operation.”
The statement did not mention the U.S. pullout but Erdogan confirmed the pullback, as did the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. And video shared by Hawar reportedly showing U.S. forces withdrawing from the towns in of Tal Abyad and Serê Kaniyê.
The unexpected withdrawal comes as Trump faces an impeachment inquiry over allegations that he pressured a foreign government to interfere in the 2020 election.
Contributing: David Jackson, USA TODAY; The Associated Press
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/10/07/trump-defends-syria-withdrawal/3896039002/